Conversations (XMPP) - Android
Conversations is a Jabber/XMPP instant messaging client for Android which can also act as a UnifiedPush distributor.
- License: GPLv3
- Sources: https://codeberg.org/iNPUTmice/Conversations
- Server: Your XMPP Server with a Rewrite Proxy
- Technology: XMPP
- Download for Android:
- Open Conversations Settings
- Scroll down to UnifiedPush Distributor
- Select the XMPP Account you want to receive notifications through
- You’re ready to use UnifiedPush!
YouTube video demonstrating this.
Note: Conversations requires converting UnifiedPush-style notifications to XMPP messages first, which is done by a service hosted at
up.conversations.im. This service, called a rewrite proxy, can also be self-hosted.
Note 2: Conversations is NOT an end user application. Conversations is a distributor that keeps a background connection open and lets other apps receive notifications through it.
In addition to a regular XMPP server, you need a UnifiedPush->XMPP Rewrite Proxy to turn UnifiedPush messages into XMPP messages. There are multiple options for rewrite proxies.
up is a proxy written in Java by the developer of Conversations. It’s server independent and works with an external XMPP server.
mod_unified_push is a Prosody module that turns Prosody into a complete push server.